There are hundreds of species of snakes around the world but only a low percentage of these are venomous. In Jamaica the only venomous native snake is the Adder also known as the Common Viper.
Snake awareness is important in protecting you and your family from snake bites.
The recommended first aid for snake bites will also vary according to species.
Treatment for a snake bite is defined according to whether the venom is cytotoxic, haemotoxic or neurotoxic and the wrong treatment will not only be of little or no help but could even be dangerous.
CYTOTOXIC - An agent or process that is toxic to cells and suppresses cell function or causes cell death.
HAEMOTOXIC - An agent or process that kills red blood cells and prevents clotting resulting in internal and external bleeding.
NEUROTOXIC - An agent or process that is destructive or deadly to nerves or nervous tissue.
Symptoms usually manifest soon after a snake bite, so observing the victim is extremely important.
If no symptoms have occurred within half an hour of the bite then indications would be that it was not a venomous snake, it failed to inject any venom or the snake was very old and had little or no venom left.
While there can be differences of opinion as to what we should do for snake bites the consensus of opinion as to what not to do is reasonably consistent:
The contents of this page are for information only. Rentokil Pest Control Jamaica do not treat reptiles.